Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Children of Men

This movie has a decidedly different feel to it than recent American films. It is Film Noir and it seems that American film makers don't believe American audiences want that. So the Brits are making them and doing quite well with the genre, in my opinion.

I've heard some comparisons to the Blade Runner. I'll accept that to a point. Both are Film Noir, both are set in a dismal near future, both provided settings that are dark, dirty, and littered with garbage. I'm not sure I can come up with any other good comparisions.

Anyway, back to Children of Men. This was a movie that lets you know right away what kind of world it was set in. There was a coffee house bombing at the beginning after which a woman staggered out of the dust holding her severed arm. Wow. Did they really just do that to open the film? Yes, yes they did and it set a mood.

There was an urban combat scene, near the end of the film that was amazing and filmed in one long continuous take! Chaotic, random, violent. I mean come on -- tanks firing on buildings at point blank range while infantry shoots it out with snipers in the same buildings. I was on the edge of my seat. It was so well filmed that it felt like being there.

A big thumbs up to Children of Men as a modern and acceptable version of Film Noir.

No comments: