Friday, December 16, 2011

Christopher Hitchens, 1949-2011

Last night, one of my favorite authors and speakers, Christopher Hitchens, died. 

He was a profoundly influential atheist and cultural commentator. I've lost count of how many eulogies for Christopher Hitchens I've read today. I've enjoyed most of them, especially the thoughtful ones that gave me pause to reflect on the flaws and triumphs of the man. Which I think is a fitting tribute to him, that even in death he inspires and challenges us to think critically, dammit. 

Rebecca Watson's article on him has been one of the better ones and includes some good links worth following.

Someday I will face my own death. I would like to have the courage and conviction of Mr. Hitchens. Though I know I'll lack his eloquence, I do hope I have wit and strength enough to send proselytizers who dare come to my death bed running in shame.


I'm glad that I was able to write to Mr. Hitchens, thank him for his work, and tell him that I appreciated him before he was gone. Mine was among thousands of letters that he received in the past year along with a series of touching tribute videos. He will be missed and the world is a less interesting place without him.

No comments: