Saturday, April 25, 2015

Ex Machina

I just saw the movie Ex Machina.

I liked it. I liked it a lot actually. This movie isn't a sci-fi action movie thriller, so don't go into it expecting that. But it is a movie that tells an interesting story, is well acted, and explores ideas as really good sci-fi often does. In this case the movie is loaded with theory of the mind stuff, as the characters and by extension the audience consider what it means to be conscious among other things.

This movie was by Alex Garland, the guy who did 28 Days Later, a zombie apocalypse movie done in a style that somehow breathed life into a somewhat tired genre. He also did Sunshine, another interesting and thought provoking film. As with those movies I think Garland did a great job telling a seemingly wild story concept in a style that was overall kind of subdued but really engaging.

Anyway, I liked it. I think I'll buy a copy when it's out on BluRay.

No comments: