Wednesday, August 19, 2015

A Thank You to Kevin Folta

This is a copy of a letter I recently sent to Dr. Kevin Folta of the University of Florida


Dr. Folta

I wanted to take a few minutes of your time to thank you for your advocacy of GMO agriculture. I am a midwestern grain farmer and I have been growing GMO field corn and soybeans for many years. I am disheartened to see a loud and largely ignorant opposition to my practices. I do what I can to explain myself and clear up misconceptions as I encounter them, but my voice is small, even if my personal stake in this matter is significant to me. But your voice has been clear and broad reaching and frankly very well communicated.

From someone who is on the ground in this public debate and can be hurt by misguided policy informed by the bad science of anti-GMO ideology, I want to tell you how very much I appreciate your efforts to oppose the message of those who would misinform the public and work to make my career riskier and more burdensome.



[I'm pleasantly stunned to add that Dr. Folta replied to my letter and did so just a few hours after I sent it. He is a great guy.]



No comments: